March 24, 2010

Toilet Paper on the Table?

Alas, the rigorous days of being a Peace Corps Trainee – knowledge and language cramping the brain and biking cramping the knees – are wrapping up, and soon I head to my permanent 2-year site-placement as a true blue Peace Corps Volunteer. 

Here's an essay displaying how adjustment is a continual process, and is forever entertaining...

During the tender developmental years of early childhood, I conversed with a spider – an imaginary friend spider, named Hadobee. Hadobee was a common house spider with brown fur, green eyes and four-sets of squiggly legs. He was a kind and attentive listener, who would perch protectively upon my shoulder, backpack, and pillow-case while I slept.

As a Peace Corps Trainee in Thailand – curious, confused and often times stunned – I am no doubt going through a child-like developmental stage an incredulous amount of the time. That said it would surely be nice to have Hadobee around. Another entity – imaginary or not – would be much welcomed as a companion for witnessing this other-side-of-the-world.

Cute little geckos decorate the bathroom walls, scampering about and gorging upon the surplus of mosquitoes (note: a friend has a 2.5 foot long lizard bathroom buddy). Pet fish are sold in glass soda bottles, while soda, coffee and tea are sold in plastic bags. Dogs with humorously disproportioned heads, long broad bodies and short legs patrol the roadways in mass force. Fried centipedes are a crunchy snack. And, toilet paper is found on tables (as napkins) more often then in bathrooms.

Shoes come off everywhere – homes, shops, temples, etc. – and floors are often so clean you can eat off of them, and we do (or we sit on-the-table, it varies). A rainbow or curries, mounds of noodles (gluten-free!), stacks of sliced cucumbers, carrots and cauliflower, and a slew spicy dipping sauces welcome one. Amazingly, nearly each meal consists of cuisine one would typically fork over $40 for at Taste of Thai on U-Street. And gosh, $40.00? I think that’s like enough money to feed one for a full month. (A rough estimate of the minimum wage here converts to $150 a month.)

So there’s the food, and then there’s the entertainment. Apparently putting us Americans on display is great fun for the Thai’s. At least such was the case at a community Sports Day Festival, during which a couple dozen of us volunteers were garbed in Pepto-Bismol-pink polyester shirts (each of which were individually tailored), and literally paraded about the field’s track for the opening ceremony.

Then there’s the prolific amount of karaoke – we are put on display at big or little parties, and in living rooms or on buses. For sure, I must build my karaoke repertoire. Put in the spotlight just the other night, with an audience of over one-hundred, my sweaty palms grasped the microphone and I proceeded to sing a most familiar tune, “Happy Birthday.” Granted it was someone’s birthday, so it wasn’t all so inappropriate to sing, but it was surly pretty lame. Suggestions of any groovy Americana classics to share with the Thai’s? I am open to requests! I must also learn some Thai songs to sing. Especially because I am continually told what a lovely voice I have – one language instructor even went as far as to say: “your tones are like undulating waves of beauty.” A pretty nice complement if ever I heard one, eh? Particularly because I’m accustomed to folks in the states saying things like: “your singing sounds like a cat in heat!”

Indeed, whether it’s the people that enjoy my nasal, Smurf-like voice, the never-ending luxurious meals, or the random rolls of toilet paper gracing the table tops, things are, simply-put, different. I wish I hadn’t flushed Hadobee when in the second-grade. It would be nice if he were with me to validate it all, to share it. Though, as my little brother – a boy sometimes wise for his years – recently assured me, “The most profound journeys we have in life were meant to be walked alone.”

5 comments:

  1. Shelby you always make me laugh out loud multiple times! It's great to hear that your voice is so beautiful even if you had to go halfway around the world for it to be so :D I'm also glad that you found your toilet paper, even if it isn't where one might expect it to be.
    Guess what: I read your blog!

    xo
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Shelby! I thought that your story was funny. I wish I was there with you but since we are here in Chestertown, we don't get to come visit you. I have an alto horn alot like the french horn. It is so cool! I wish you were here so you could here me play it. LOVE, RUBY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mi Amiga, you are getting a taste for the exotic. Yes, toilet paper on the dining table is exotic, as is newspaper in the bathroom (yes, to wipe, OUCH!) and moist bread crumbs rolled up into erasers (try it, it works). You will never be the same. Just wait till you come back, you will see everything so differently. I am glad for you and wish you the best. A lonely road will soon reach a crossroads. Looking forward to hearing about those you will cross paths with. I do indeed hope that I can visit you with Denise in 2011. As for me, I'm heading to Chile tomorrow to do humanitarian work after the big earthquake there. I'll tell you about it when I return. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Shelby,

    I can picture you with the suitcase, the french horn, the laptop and the bike. Your brother is right, those are the most profound journeys. In any case, I think through your blog, each of us will be your imaginary spiders, because your talent to depict scenes makes us feel like we are there with you, sharing each and every experience.

    I know you are taking it all in. This is a magic moment. Enjoy it and keep us posted. :)

    xoxo
    Ines

    PS: as far as the singing, one thing I used to do with my Brazilian students was to do the "Hokey Pokey" and "Peter Piper". It always amused everyone, because it's unfamiliar, but everyone participates, so it worked for adults too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a treat to read your blog. Shelby, your experience reminded me of my time as an AFS exchange student. As a novice myself, my suggestions for singing karaoke are leaning towards songs by the Beatles, most people have heard of their popular tunes, even if they are not familiar with the Fab Four, the lyrics are easy to understand, and you may find others singing along with you. My host-father and I sang Hey Jude, it was fun because everyone can sing the chorus: naa, naa, naa, naa ... Hey Jude.
    Give it a try :-) Best wishes for you as you continue on this journey.

    ReplyDelete